Mount Saint Mary Academy seeks dynamic and talented faculty and staff who have a commitment to excellence and the education of young women. All employees must possess a belief in collaboration, compassion, service, educational excellence, spiritual growth and development, and an understanding of the importance of addressing women’s concerns.
Teaching candidates should have subject-area expertise and a passion for promoting academic engagement in others. A willingness to embrace additional responsibilities such as coaching, mentoring, or supervising clubs is also required.
Mount Saint Mary Academy is seeking a School Counselor (10-month position) who can address the academic, personal, social development and well-being of students through a comprehensive guidance program.
Candidate should have a master’s degree in school counseling and relevant experience within the field is preferred.
Please send letter of interest and resume to Maryann Brown at email@example.com or fax to 908-756-8085.
- A successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills, experience and requirements:
- A master’s degree in counseling/school counseling.
- Familiarity with the goals, objectives, and mission of an independent catholic college preparatory school. Experience in an independent school environment is a plus.
- Current knowledge of colleges, their academic programs, and admission policies. Experience with Naviance is a plus.
- Ability to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding student and parent population.
- Personal qualities include resilience, approachability, kindness and a team player.
- Must possess good judgement, tact, sensitivity and discretion in the handling of confidential information, materials, and situations.
- Excellent listening, counseling, verbal and written communication skills, as well as, strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively based on the task, as well as, the capability to multi-task and adapt to changing requirements
Responsibilities will include:
- Management of a caseload of approximately 130+ students. The ability to utilize leadership, advocacy, and collaboration to promote student success, provide preventive services, and respond to identified student needs by adhering to a comprehensive school counseling program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development for all students.
- Instruct students grades 9-12 in seminar level classes covering topics appropriate for class level including career development and college exploration.
- Maintain current knowledge of college trends and research. Assist and instruct college bound students with responsibilities associated with the college application process including: researching and developing a balanced list of schools, assisting students with all aspects of the college application, working with Naviance, composing letters of recommendation, and networking with college admissions professionals.
- Serve as SSD coordinator and liaison for Somerset County Education Commission servicing students with Individual Service Plans. Develop and distribute accommodation plans to teachers as well as maintain records in compliance with state regulations including records regarding 192 / 193 services.
- Additional responsibilities will also include serving as a member of the Student Assistance Committee and the Admissions Committee, coordinating and proctoring standardized testing, planning and assisting with student and parent programming.
Mount Saint Mary Academy, a Catholic college preparatory school run by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in accordance with the anti-discrimination laws of New Jersey.