Safety & Security During COVID-19
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Mount Saint Mary Academy began to strategize and implement a careful plan of measures to keep its students, faculty/staff, visitors and Sisters of Mercy in residence safe and secure. Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our school community.
These safety procedures include:
- Disinfecting all buildings prior to staff returning to work and students returning to class.
- Replacing HVAC air filters or clean/disinfect.
- Maximizing outdoor air ventilation (open windows, opening dampers) and installing mechanical ventilation and/or filters where required.
- Preparing and maintaining hand-sanitizing stations with alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 70% alcohol) in each classroom, at entrances and exits of buildings, and near lunchrooms and toilets.
- Cleaning bathrooms every hour.
- Mandating that students use every other sink in the bathrooms. Every other sink has been made inoperable.
- Using all cleaning products according to the directions on the label. For disinfection, most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective. A list of products that are EPA-approved for use against the virus that causes Covid-19 is available on the EPA’s website.
- Routinely cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and objects that are frequently touched, including cleaning objects/surfaces not ordinarily cleaned daily, such as: doorknobs, handles, push plates, light switches, classroom sink handles, countertops, classroom desks, chairs, lunch tables, chairs, handrails, athletic equipment, buttons on vending machines and elevators, shared telephones, desktops, computer keyboards and mouses, and drinking fountains.
- All students, faculty, and staff to work/learn virtually every Wednesday to deep clean and disinfect all buildings and their contents.
Interstate Cleaning Service and Mount Saint Mary Academy provide:
- Adequate supply of soap, disinfection spray, hand sanitizer, paper towels, and tissues
- Adequate stock of face masks, face shields, and gloves on-site
- Germ foggers
- Temperature and Sanitization stands
- COVID Tools
- Plexiglass at the cafeteria lunch tables
- Decals placed on the floors of all of the campus buildings enforcing 6-foot distance rule; posted signs on all buildings to maintain social distancing and that masks must be worn at all times. (There is a semi-colon on point #5 only, should be one on every point.)
Faculty, staff, and students wear face masks at all times.
Specifics on Personal Protective Equipment:
- Face Masks should be provided by the student/family. MSMA has provided one cloth face mask with school logo to each student and will have extra disposable face masks for students who need them. Reusable masks should be washed by families daily.
- Disposable surgical masks (1 day) and disposable gloves.
- Disinfectant Spray/Wipes
- 2% bleach (sodium hypochlorite) solution made fresh daily, or hospital-grade disinfectant
- Spray Bottles and 1-liter plastic spray containers
- Hand sanitizer dispenser floor stand
- Hand Sanitizer (refills)
- Sanitizer with Alcohol 70%/Local brand “sanitizer”
- Hand Soap
- Paper Towels
Mount Saint Mary Academy must continue to adhere to existing required facilities’ deep-cleaning practices and procedures, and any new specific requirements of the local health department as they arise.